[Libav-user] Building with MSVC toolchain resulting in seekingproblem?

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Tue Mar 12 19:51:31 CET 2013

>> > Is there any reason to build ffmpeg with MSVC, rather
>> > than using mingw with msys or a mingw cross-compiler
>> > on a simple linux VM?
>
> Apart from the fact that I still cannot understand why
> building with a cross-compiler in a VM can be easier than
> doing a native mingw build: For years, this was one of the
> most often requested "features", probably to allow
> debugging within msvc.

For me it was easy to setup a linux machine on the LAN here and use the all the tools and libraries associated with that. So it's an
easy step to get required libraries, tools, etc., and build in that fashion.

The main motivation for using MSVC to build ffmpeg at this point for me would be to be able to debug ffmpeg from MSVC. Does this
work or not ?

Another motivation might be to get static link builds to work instead of DLL. Anyone know if that works ? static link builds from
cross-compile linux have link problems when linking in MSVC. I was able to get a static link to work with a minimal build but it was
always something so gave up on it.