[Libav-user] Converting audio sample buffer format

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 21:01:04 CET 2013

On Feb 26, 2013, at 20:44, Brad O'Hearne wrote:

> This is being called to fill my sourceData array (allocated with av_samples_alloc) with the captured data in QTSampleBuffer. In noticing that most of these libswresample functions declare buffers as:
>
> const uint8_t *buf
>
> what does this mean for sample data that is signed? is the fill function above performing a conversion of signed sample data to its

I'm guessing nothing (and hoping that a fill function only copies data) ... uint8_t is just a way to say 'byte', and I presume that the const indicates that the function doesn't modify the array. What I don't dare to guess is why the void* type isn't used - is there a practical reason or only a 'programming principle' behind that?

R.