[Libav-user] Complying with L-GPL license

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Mon Feb 11 23:03:44 CET 2013

On 02/11/2013 04:48 PM, Video Monkey wrote:
> I realize I'm seeing legal advice on a technical forum, however I'm
> hoping there is an experienced hand willing to guide me. I'm reading
> the "License Compliance Checklist" at http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html
> and would appreciate clarification on point number 3 "Distribute the
> source code of FFmpeg, no matter if you modified it or not." Is the
> preferred method of distribution 1) instructions to the git
> repository, or 2) either a tarball or zip file?

When you distribute, you are responsible for ensuring your customers get
the source *you* used.  It's almost impossible to ensure that somebody
else's git repo carries what *you* are responsible for, and you would be
hijacking their bandwidth and server space for *your* project.  That is
often tolerated if your project is also completely open source, but is
certainly frowned upon if you are a commercial operation.

If you zip up the source and include it in your CD or download every
time you publish, you have fulfilled that requirement without stepping
on any toes.

> Thank you!

HTH, IANAL, etc.,

Phil