[Libav-user] First frame not keyframe

Mark Kenna mark.kenna at sureviewsystems.com
Thu Nov 8 12:48:53 CET 2012

Hi Guys

I have an interesting issue where on trying to decode a mpeg1video file I
get:

[mpeg1video @ 01d16900] ignoring pic after 100
> [mpeg1video @ 01d16900] Missing picture start code
> [mpeg1video @ 01d16900] warning: first frame is no keyframe

After doing some research it appears that FFMpeg will drop the first frame
if it's deemed "broken, corrupt or not a keyframe", but it seems that the
first frame is present and looks perfectly valid when playing through
VLC/MPC. I have taken the following logs which indicate that the first
frame is indeed a non-keyframe. My questions is whether there is any way to
salvage the first frame (which is quite important for me) using FFMpeg?

Frame dump from FFProbe (I've cut down the info from the second frame)

[FRAME]
media_type=video
key_frame=0
pkt_pts=48000