[FFmpeg-user] Creating Motion JPEG 2000 Images

Oliver Fromme oliver at fromme.com
Mon Jul 29 22:40:39 EEST 2024

Aaron Boxer via ffmpeg-user wrote:
 > I am able to play back mj2 clips with ffmpeg; can I also create mj2 files
 > by converting from say mp4 ?

No, unfortunately that's not supported.
Excerpt from the output of ``ffmpeg -formats'':

  D  mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 QuickTime / MOV

The "D" in the first column means that FFmpeg can only read these
files, but not write them.  Basically, .mj2 files are just MP4
containers (or Quicktime) with frames that are JPEG-2000 images.

There are also "raw" MJPEG2k files, but FFmpeg cannot write them
either (this is a raw stream of JPEG2k images):

  D  mjpeg_2000      raw MJPEG 2000 video

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to create MJPEG2k files?
In general, I recommend against doing that, unless you need it
for compatibility with a certain piece of hardware or software
that isn’t able to handle anything else.

Best regards
 -- Oliver