[FFmpeg-user] Confusion over stream specifier on -map, -codec,

Oliver Fromme oliver at fromme.com
Fri Jul 26 17:12:27 EEST 2024

gqqnb2005 wrote:
 > I then searched Google for the map syntax you provided, and it turns
 > out to be from the `--help` option of ffmpeg.

No, I got it from the manual page.  It's also contained in the online
documentation (which is basically the same as the manual page).

 > I had always believed the help information was available online. Now I
 > know I have to read `ffmpeg --help`.

Well, I'm on UNIX (BSD) so I use the manual page (``man ffmpeg-all'').
It contains the complete and detailed documentation, including many
examples.

Windows doesn't have manual pages, so I guess you need to use the
online documentation in this case:
    https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html
It should have the same contents as the manual page, just formatted
differently.

The built-in help of the ffmpeg command is rather terse in comparison
and doesn't contain detailed explanations, and no examples.  It's only
useful as a quick reference when you already know how FFmpeg works.

Best regards
 -- Oliver