[FFmpeg-user] Transform dvdsub to png

Thomas Ledoux tledouxfr at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 14:27:58 EEST 2024

 Hi all,

with the introduction of the new dvdvideo decoder, we are able to access
successfully any video and transcode it. Moreover, we can extract subtitles
in the native image-based subdvd format.

The command
ffmpeg -y -hide_banner -f dvdvideo -title 1 -i dvd.iso -vn -an -map
0:i:0x22 -c:s dvdsub title_01_fre_32.vob
allows the extraction of the subtitle with the id 0x20 in dvdsub format.

If I add the image2 demuxer, I'm able to extract each RLE frames with the
PTS in the filename
ffmpeg -y -hide_banner -f dvdvideo -title 1 -i dvd.iso -vn -an -copyts -map
0:i:0x20 -c:s dvdsub -f image2 -frame_pts true title_01_fre_32_%d.rle

However, if I ask for a image format like png, with a command like this

ffmpeg -y -hide_banner -f dvdvideo -title 1 -i dvd.iso -vn -an -copyts -map
0:i:0x20 -f image2 -frame_pts true title_01_fre_32_%d.png
I got
[sost#0:0 @ 000002187d8e73c0] Automatic encoder selection failed Default
encoder for format image2 (codec none) is probably disabled. Please choose
an encoder manually.
[sost#0:0 @ 000002187d8e73c0] Error selecting an encoder

If I explicitly ask for png with
ffmpeg -y -hide_banner -f dvdvideo -title 1 -i dvd.iso -vn -an -copyts -map
0:i:0x20 -c:s png -f image2 -frame_pts true title_01_fre_32_%d.png

[sost#0:0 @ 0000021eb03cc640] Invalid encoder type 'png'
[sost#0:0 @ 0000021eb03cc640] Error selecting an encoder

Indeed, PNG is not supposed to be used for subtitles. But in this case,
subtitles are images

so they could be transform in PNG. Am I forgetting a filter to make it
react as if it was a video ?

Thanks for any insight
  Thomas