[FFmpeg-user] The future of video

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 17:15:12 EEST 2024

On 17/07/2024 08.46, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> I'm not sure this is on-topic for the ffmpeg users list ...

It is, or rather, it will be some day...

Imagine video without frames, imagine how it would work, imagine pixel-by-pixel random access and
you're on your way.

There would be no game play or collision detection of course. We're talking 'canned' video, not a game.

The weighting of Y Cr Cb are still based on CRT phosphors, not reality. HSV is reality. The Munsell
color solid is reality, or at least it's a digital, quantized version of reality. Luma and chroma
were/are a step in the right direction. We should go the rest of the way as soon as possible.

Slices with motion vectors are exactly 'software' sprites. Slices are a compromise based on the
necessity of having frames. Frames will be obsolete some day. Video will be 'painted' on displays on
a pel-by-pel, 'need to refresh' basis, not on a frame rate schedule. It is then that compression
will really take off. People will be amazed by the amount of compression achieved, and using so
little bandwidth.

We could have videos like that tomorrow if there were TVs that could play them. Some day, there will
be. It can be done with current technology. The only thing holding us back is the past.

--Mark.