[FFmpeg-user] The future of video

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 02:02:51 EEST 2024

   I interviewed at NVIDIA when it was a start-up. My interview wound up being an argument over
sprite graphics, which they held in contempt. I did not get the job.

   Well, guess what? The so-called "slice prediction" in AVC is sprite graphics. It's real image but
it's sprites. At Atari, we did sprites in hardware only because the 6502 was 8 bits running at
1.193[18..] MHz (i.e., 3.579[54..]/3), far too slow.

   Television - TVs will change a lot. The architecture of television has to change in order to make
them simpler, more responsive, easer to drive.

   The entire concept of frames and of FPS is outmoded and will hopefully become outdated soon.

   To fill human field of vision, including peripheral vision, screen resolution needs to be
approximately 12000x6000. If viewers are closer to the screen so that FOV+ is filled, then
resolution needs to be proportionately greater.

   To match human persistence of vision, the refresh rate of individual pels actually needs to be no
greater than 10 or 12 refreshes per second. Only the dots that change need be refreshed and only to
the extent that they change. Of course, if sub-dots are electrically dynamic instead of electrically
static, then TVs need to have some sort of dynamic refresh that's opaque to the input. Bulk screen
refresh at the input is undesirable because it would flash at 10 or 12 Hz.

   TV dots need to be randomly addressable. TVs need to hide their native screen refresh interval,
if any, preferably acting as closely as possible to analog.

   TV sub-dots need to act like memory so that their current values are readily available to use on
updates.

   To take best advantage of compression, pels should be HSV, not RGB.

   TVs need to have built-in hardware to do HSV-to-R -G -B conversions that are weighted to match
the optical properties of their RGB sub-dots. The best circuit way to set sub-dot levels is analog-R
-G -B. The amount of circuitry to do that is trivial to nonexistent -- transistor gate capacitance
alone may be enough to power LEDs from refresh to refresh -- we will eventually get to the point of
actual R G B LED sub-dots, won't we?

I'm probably all wrong. I've been surprised before. Video will probably continue to slowly crawl
forward on its hands and knees.

--Mark.