[FFmpeg-user] IDR frames v non-IDR frames

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 07:22:11 EEST 2024

On 04/07/2024 23.07, Srikanth Kotagiri wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2024 at 4:49 AM Mark Filipak <markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone figured out how to discern IDR frames v non-IDR frames in either FFmpeg or FFprobe?
>
> ffprobe -select_streams v -show_frames -print_format json sample.mp4
> 2>/dev/null | jq '.frames[] | select( .key_frame == 1)'

Thank you, Srikanth.

You think key_frame means IDR? Nope. I've asked many times what "key_frame" means but no one has
offered an answer. But it definitely does not mean IDR. I have videos with frames reported as
key_frames that are definitely non-IDR. It was considerate of you to reply, though.

I'm running Windows, but I understand your script.

--Mark.