[FFmpeg-user] Question about including FFmpeg source codes.

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon Jan 30 08:15:12 EET 2023

On 1/29/2023 10:03 PM, 김기돈 [메타버스엔터테인먼트] wrote:
> Q1) Since I'm just using the libav libraries that are included in FFmpeg,
> do I still need to distribute the source code of FFmpeg?

(all of the libav* libraries? lbavcodec, libavformat, libavfilter, etc)

The license and livense FAQ should explain that, but my understanding is
that you only need to distribute the source code for the parts you
distribute in binary form. However.... you need to look at specific parts
for the license types. For instance, libavfilter has parts that are GPL in
addition to those that are LGPL.

> Q2) If I have to distribute all the source codes, then can I upload them to
> my personal repository and share the link?

As long as you -do- make them available, you should be compliant. The LGPL
2.1 license says "You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code."

If you have not actually read the LGPL, please do so. It's pretty clear.

z!