[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg MP4/x264 output colours change when input source is different resolution (bug?)

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Thu Sep 15 11:41:12 EEST 2022

Am 15.09.2022 um 00:30 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> On 9/15/22, Dan <twinbee42 at skytopia.com> wrote:
>>> zscale=...,format=yuv420p
>> Ohhhh.... okay. I tried that before (except using two -vf commands), because
>> suspected you might've meant that.
>>
>> Just tried it again, still no luck. Let me know if I need to tweak
>> anything:
>>
>> ffmpeg.exe -f lavfi -i color=0x19be0f:s=400x578 -crf 0 -vcodec libx264 -vf
>> zscale=w=-1:h=-1,format=yuv420p -t 5 -y "578.mp4"
>>
>> I'm using Media Player Classic to test the colours, which breaks the pic
>> using the 578 pixel
>> height. Chrome actually works with both the 576 and 578 pixel height, but as
>> soon as I
>> change the height to 984, then both Media Player Classic AND Chrome show it
>> broken.
>>
>> Datascope shows the strange and seemingly unrelated 78,4C,44 values for all
>> three sizes,
>> but it does that even without using zscale at all.
> Good, we move forward, that are real values encoded in bitstream.
>
> Anything RGB values you complain about have nothing directly related
> about ffmpeg.
>
> Also make sure that all software are reinterpreting your files correctly.
> The files need to signal correct encoded colorspace/primaries/range/etc so
> it can be correctly displayed on screen.

Below is a Windows batch file for reproducing with FFplay. I did use the
latest version from Gyan. The color difference is clearly visible.

ffmpeg -f lavfi -i color=0x19be0f:s=400x576 -vf
zscale,setrange=full,format=yuv420p -colorspace bt709 -color_primaries
bt709 -crf 0 -vcodec libx264 -t 5 -y out1.mp4
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i color=0x19be0f:s=400x578 -vf
zscale,setrange=full,format=yuv420p -colorspace bt709 -color_primaries
bt709 -crf 0 -vcodec libx264 -t 5 -y out2.mp4
start ffplay -left 0 -top 0 out1.mp4
start ffplay -left 400 -top 0 out2.mp4

When inspecting the files with FFprobe or ExifTool, I see no differences
except height and small differences in bitrate and filesize.