[FFmpeg-user] RTSP with source-specific multicast

Brody, Ben Ben.Brody at wsp.com
Mon Sep 12 14:45:42 EEST 2022

We are trying to use ffplay to join a live video source in a network that uses IGMPv3 source-specific multicast.

If we use an SDP file this works fine and ffplay correctly sends a source-specific multicast membership report.

However, when we try to join the same source using RTSP, ffplay seems to ignore the source-specific address contained in the SDP response to RTSP DESCRIBE and fails because it tries to join for any source. See details in screenshot below. Are we doing something wrong, is this a feature of ffplay or a potential bug?

I note that libavformat/rtsp.h contains the comment /** The following are used only in SDP, not RTSP */ against code for sdp port, source-specific multicast addresses, etc. I'm not sure if that hints at our issue being because of a feature in ffmpeg.

[cid:image001.png at 01D8C6A2.77B54680]

NOTICE: This communication and any attachments ("this message") may contain information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise subject to restricted disclosure under applicable law. This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use, disclosure, viewing, copying, alteration, dissemination or distribution of, or reliance on, this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, or you are not an authorized or intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, delete this message and all copies from your e-mail system and destroy any printed copies.

-LAEmHhHzdJzBlTWfa4Hgs7pbKl