[FFmpeg-user] Guidance on debugging a potential memory leak

Jorge Villatoro jorge at voxelai.com
Thu Sep 1 22:15:57 EEST 2022

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 11:24 AM Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Do., 1. Sept. 2022 um 19:07 Uhr schrieb Jorge Villatoro via
> ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>:
>
> > I've tried running valgrind on this process for a while but I'm not
> really
> > sure how to decipher the results other than that there doesn't appear to
> be
> > an obvious leak.
>
> If valgrind does not show a memory there is no memory leak.

If you'd like to call it something else that's fine with me, but it's clear
that the memory usage of the process escalates over time with this
configuration and does not in my other configurations. Whether you'd refer
it to a memory leak I guess could be a semantic argument. It seems possible
that something is holding a bunch of references unintentionally for
example, which I'd consider a memory leak and which valgrind may not detect
if those references are still cleaned up properly at program exit.

In any case the usage is high enough in some cases that the process has to
be restarted to avoid running the host out of memory. Any guidance someone
here might have on how to track this "memory usage escalation" down would
still be very appreciated :)