[FFmpeg-user] What is a "pad" in the context of an "input pad", an "output pad" and a "filter pad"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Oct 28 18:49:05 EEST 2022

Am 28.10.22 um 17:22 schrieb Patrick Cusack:
>> in which crazy world means padding reduce something which would be
>> trimming while "padding" everywhere outside your mind means the opposite
>
> In the audio world, padding means to reduce.  You typically add pads to
> mics to reduce the input level. One time I went on an expensive audio
> shoot with some new equipment and the manufacturer hid the pad button.
> I had to record some stuff with 20db of attenuation

well, in the audio-world people can't even distinct between instruments
and playback, otherwise the nonsense of "sounding" amplifiers won't exist

on the playback side you don't want anything having it's own sound
because it isn't an instrument while instruments are supposed to produce
sound speakers and amplifiers have to be neutral - the sound is already
on the record