[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg/ffprobe won't detect the language of a webvvt (subtitles) file

pehache pehache.7 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 14:56:51 EEST 2022

Hello,

A webtt subtitles files starts with a few header lines, and one of them
indicates the language:

==================================
WEBVTT
Kind: captions
Language: en
==================================

But ffmpeg won't detect the language. The ffprobe output on the above
file makes no mention of it:

==================================
Input #0, webvtt, from 'Star Trek Continues E01 "Pilgrim of Eternity"
[3G-ziTBAkbQ].en.vtt':
   Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
   Stream #0:0: Subtitle: webvtt

Consequentely, when muxed into a video file, no language is reported for
the subtitle streams.

In constrast, MKVToolnix detects the language when reading a webvtt file
(although not always perfectly)

Is there a simple solution? I know it's possible to force a langage for
any stream, but in practice for each video file I have many subtitle
tracks to mux, and this is handled by scripts, so I'd prefer something
straigth and automatic.