[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg Licence Query

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Fri Oct 14 04:31:48 EEST 2022

On 2022-10-13 15:46, Nicholas Cox via ffmpeg-user wrote:

> Hi
> I have searched around to find out if I need to obtain a licence for my project.
> I want to include ffmpeg inside a Unity project targeting IOS and Android applications. I wish to use ffmpeg to rtmp a live broadcast to Youtube and Facebook. What licence would I need to do this? I will not be modifying the code in anyway and the sole intention is to use for live broadcasting.
> Thanks
> Nick

Hello, Nick:

I am not an FFmpeg insider, so I have no special expertise. However, the
FFmpeg project has published a page, /
FFmpeg License and Legal Considerations/ <http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html>.
When people have asked licence questions in the past, they have been
directed to this page.

I observe that sometime people ask a question which boils down to, will
the FFmpeg-user mailing list assure me that my intended use has no legal
risk?  My impression is that neither this email list nor the FFmpeg
project attempts to answer such questions. They way to get an answer to
that kind of question is to hire a lawyer who knows your situation and
your jurisdiction, and let them advise you.

I hope this is helpful,
     —Jim DeLaHunt, just another FFmpeg user