[FFmpeg-user] Re-encoding mkv files from makemkv

Leo Butler leo.butler81 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:36:52 EEST 2022

On Tue, Oct 11 2022, pehache <pehache.7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 08/09/2022 à 00:04, James Board via ffmpeg-user a écrit :
>> I'm trying to re-encode an MKV file that I originally created with makemkv from the original BluRay disc.  My ffmpeg command is:
>>      ffmpeg-4.1.2-amd64-static/ffmpeg -y -i
>> Twin_Peaks-_A_Limited_Event_Series_-_Disc_2_t01.mkv -c:a copy -c:v
>> libx264  -preset slow -crf 20
>> Twin_Peaks-_A_Limited_Event_Series_-_Disc_2_t01_RECODE.mkv
>> The error is
>>      Too many packets buffered for output stream 0:1.
>>      Conversion failed!

>> ffmpeg version 4.1.2-static https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/  Copyright (c) 2000-2019 the FFmpeg developers
>>    built with gcc 6.3.0 (Debian 6.3.0-18+deb9u1) 20170516

I am not sure if the OP's comments about audio transcoding helped, but
here are some other thoughts...

That is an awfully old build of ffmpeg. I would upgrade before fiddling
much.

I have experienced problems with old builds of ffmpeg and transcoding
mkv files. From memory: the ffmpeg process would eat up all available
memory on the server and then crash. Sometimes, the error message would
be like the one you reported, sometimes the out-of-memory daemon would
kill it. IIRC, upgrading to a newer build of ffmpeg fixed the problem
for me.

Leo