[FFmpeg-user] Ubuntu 22.04 audio capture issue

Dan Harkless ffmpeg at harkless.org
Tue Nov 29 18:16:27 EET 2022

On 11/28/2022 9:03 AM, Dave Blanchard wrote:
> I can't help with the audio problem, unfortunately. All I can say is
> this is exactly the sort of thing that drove me completely away from
> mainstream Linux junkware distros like Ubuntu, and into the open and
> waiting arms of my own custom distro, made from scratch. These sort of
> problems are now fading, distant memories for me. It's always set up
> to be exactly how I want it to be, out of the box. You would not
> believe how much faster, snappier, and more stable the experience is,
> even on new hardware, let alone old hardware. I highly recommend
> others to take a similar route, and get off mainstream Linux and into
> something better.

I, too, have found Debian-based distributions to be too buggy for my
use, but Red Hat Enterprise Linux–based distributions like CentOS have
been extremely stable, in my experience.  Even Fedora Linux, which is
more of a bleeding-edge distro, I've found to have very good QA (only
real issues I've ever had with it are due to its incompatibility with
old, low-end Nvidia cards).

> If you want to know what the main root of the problem is on Ubuntu, look at any software authored by the paid saboteur known as "Linux Puttering" aka Linus Poettering. That would be systemd, and of course the original O.G. Puttering junkware, pulseaudio. There is a master plan at work here, and a sinister one at that.

Hmm, I'm aware of the great systemd debate, but was not previously aware
of the "paid saboteur" theory.  FWIW, recent versions of CentOS and
Fedora, like almost all distros, use systemd, and it's never caused a
problem for me.  It's more complex to write custom startup and shutdown
scripts for, but it has backwards compatibility for init.d-style scripts.

The saboteur thing is plausible (and a scary thought), but I have a hard
time believing so many distros would have adopted it if it's such
"junkware".  I think it's more that enterprise use, faster systems, and
faster disks, started to make init.d's serial processing of tasks a
bottleneck, and systemd's parallelism addressed that.

As someone else noted, putting together a custom distro is beyond most
people's needs and abilities, though Arch Linux is a nice middle ground
between from-scratch distro-building and ready-to-go ones.  I've also
found it to have comparably good QA to the Red Hat–based distros.

--
Dan Harkless
http://harkless.org/dan/