[FFmpeg-user] fmp4 streaming issues

Dave Blanchard dave at killthe.net
Tue Nov 22 00:00:02 EET 2022

> I tried to find some more information onto this, but I'm not sure if
> this might be the issue:
>
> https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/list/?series=1018
>
> Is somebody able to provide some more information onto these issues? Why
> aren't these changes already merged? Can I do this by my own, and if so,
> how?

If you're on Linux, you can easily build your own patched ffmpeg.

Although I'm using SRT now, in the event you or someone else is stuck with HLS, I went ahead and ported this patch to the current ffmpeg 5.1.2 source. It's attached to this email, along with a build script for ffmpeg. It compiles, and looks like it will work, but I haven't tested it; so give it a try and see if it helps.

First download ffmpeg 5.1.2 from: https://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-5.1.2.tar.bz2

Then put it in a directory somewhere with the script and patch file. By default the script builds and installs ffmpeg and the docs in the current directory, under ./ffmpeg and ./ffmpeg-doc. You can easily edit the script to replace the system ffmpeg, if you want; then just run the script with 'sudo'.

You'll undoubtedly have to install a number of different -dev packages of various needed libraries to complete the build, so just run the script, watch for 'configure' to fail with missing packages, then find and install the -dev version of what it's looking for.

If you need to cross-build ffmpeg for a different CPU, the script can do that also; set environment variable TARGET="aarch64" or whatever.

I do recommend to switching to SRT if you can, though, as it's much better than HLS in my experience.