[FFmpeg-user] How to reduce interlace artifacts while trancoding to mp4

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Sat Nov 12 16:00:26 EET 2022

Am 12.11.22 um 10:57 schrieb Bouke / Videotoolshed:

> Hi Ulf,
> This is normal DV interlaced video. Open the .avi with VLC and turn OFF de-interlace, you’ll see how gorgeous the motion was on an old fashioned interlace aware screen.
>
> So, you need to de-interlace the filter.
> While you’re at it, you should crop a little, as SD is an over scanned format. And, you have non-square pixels that you have to accommodate for, so set aspect to 4:3 (in this case), or scale to a 4:3 ratio.

Hi Bouke,

when I switch off the de-interlace with the avi video in VLC, then the video looks ugly as the transcoded mp4 video ... not gorgeous.

Yes I know, I have to de-interlace the video. I was hoping, that someone with more experience than me could suggest me the best filter for this task, so I would not need to poke around to find it myself.
If I remember right, I had a good experience, when I set fps to 50 instead 25, so each halve-frame becomes a full-frame, but maybe someone knows an even better method.

I don't think, I like to trans-format the ratio, as this always eats information/quality ... and if one want to watch the video on an old TV screen, he would have the original quality.

Thanks for your sugestions.

-Ulf