[FFmpeg-user] Pictures in video

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue May 24 23:23:38 EEST 2022

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 21:55:20 +0200, FFmpeg user discussions wrote:
> What I find strange is that the input video is 23 MB and the picture
> is 302 KB, but the generated video is 42 MB.
> Am I doing something wrong?

No, that's not strange at all. You are reencoding a video. That process
will likely use different parameters than the original encoding.
(Approximately the same would happen without the overlay.) You can
control the encoding parameters, e.g. by the bitrate option "-b:v", or
with "-crf" (if using libx264 or libx265). There is a lot of
information about that available.

Moritz