[FFmpeg-user] Why does ffplay lie about vq value? (was: How to get ffplay live stream latency under 15 seconds)

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Wed May 4 12:34:40 EEST 2022

Hi all,

I've still been working on this but haven't yet worked out how to get
the ffmpeg->network->ffplay latency down to under 15 seconds.

I have however noticed that when playing the video, ffplay includes a
"vq" parameter in the status line, which hovers between 0 KB and 50 KB.
However if I terminate the stream at the source (by exiting ffmpeg),
the "vq" value on the client instantly jumps up to many megabytes, and
gradually counts down to zero as the backlog of ~15 seconds worth of
frames are played (ffplay continues playing the backlog of frames even
though ffmpeg has stopped sending anything).

What would cause the ffplay "vq" value to remain incorrectly near zero
while the stream is active, but then suddenly increase to show its true
value only once new frames have stopped being sent?

All I can think of is that it's something to do with timestamps,
however I have tried to tell ffplay to ignore timestamps and play back
the frames as quickly as possible with "-sync ext" but this doesn't
seem to work.  (See my original message below with more detail.)

Does this vq behaviour give anyone any hints about why ffplay falls so
far behind the live stream?

This is one of the many commands I have used on the Raspberry Pi for
sending the stream, all with the same result:

  ffmpeg -f rawvideo
    -pix_fmt yuv420p
    -video_size 1280x960
    -use_wallclock_as_timestamps 1
    -fflags +nobuffer
    -i /dev/video0
    -vsync cfr
    -r 15
    -c:v h264_v4l2m2m
    -b:v 5M
    -f rtp_mpegts
    udp://239.0.0.1:5004

And on the client x86 PC:

  ffplay -probesize 32 -sync ext udp://239.0.0.1:5004
  # Plus variations of all the options described further below

Many thanks,
Adam.