[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG loudnorm - linear normalization

CMG DiGiTaL cmarciog at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:17:32 EET 2022

Ok boys.... each one has its truth and the sum of them, makes us reach
excellence!... but in the end,
 we must be faithful to what seems most correct to us.

Before starting this topic, I had done a lot of testing with software and
plugins related to LUFS normalization:
  - The plugin I specified here actually increases the signal to achieve a
goal set by the user, which ends up drastically modifying the song.
  - foobar, in my tests, ended up doing a normalization that I didn't find
satisfactory for my case, because it softened details in some tracks,
    but stifled others. In general, it would be interesting for specific
cases.
  - mp3gain, not what I want, even with its controls, I ended up needing to
control some peaks of the music after using it.

Regarding ffmpeg, which I'm using to create a batch for my specific
situation, it can be used for this purpose, in fact, it was the only one
that
respected the rules of limits to normalize a song.

Other software applies reckless gains on the audio to achieve the end goal.

That's why I'm creating a batch so that I can be sure that the audio will
be really normalized within what can be done.

I understand that when a song is born, that is, when it is made available
to us, it comes within the limits established by professionals and sound
engineers, but as each professional has his method of work and each style
of sound has its characteristics.

When we put all these styles together in a library, it ends up generating
differences between them in terms of sound volume.

As my original songs are kept unchanged, I'm trying, respecting the
criteria of each song, to make a normalization so that they are balanced
with
each other in terms of volume.

I understand what Clayton said about the volume on the amplifier, but
imagine the situation of having friends for a party and having to keep
turning
the amplifier volume up and down for each song that is playing!... I want
to be able to enjoy the party without having to worry about it!

Compressors do this, but using ffmpeg I can do it in several files at once
and respecting the limit of each song.