[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG loudnorm - linear normalization

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Mar 10 10:26:27 EET 2022

Am 10.03.22 um 08:54 schrieb Paul B Mahol:

>> Perhaps you need a different tool.  If you're actually just dealing with
>> music files you should snag foobar2000 and use it for this job instead.  It
>> uses the same R128 algorithm.  It is made for dealing with music, being a
>> music player.  And you can load up your entire library and analyze it all
>> without having to adjust anything.  You will be able to see all your
>> required adjustments in the UI before touching your file data.  This will
>> let you see all the adjustment data at a glance, better allowing you to
>> determine what a good target value will be for your entire library.  A good
>> target value will be one that ensures all your file data will have to be
>> turned down rather than up.  For that matter, you can have the player make
>> the adjustments on the fly during playback so you don't even have to alter
>> your file data at all.  ffmpeg really isn't the right tool for this job.
>>
> I disagree with you. FFmpeg is right tool for this jobs. You just do not
> know how to use it

no it is not!

we have 2022 and volume normalization is done via anlazye and meta-tags
where tools exists FOR R128 normalization

nobody right in his mind is usung ffmpeg for that task
the last part of the output is about the topic

ID3 Tags MP3GAIN/REPLAYGAIN

mediainfo 'AC-DC - Badlands.mp3'
General
Complete name                            : AC-DC - Badlands.mp3
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
File size                                : 7.15 MiB
Duration                                 : 3 min 38 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 274 kb/s
Album                                    : Flick Of The Switch
Track name                               : Badlands
Performer                                : AC/DC
Genre                                    : Hard Rock
Recorded date                            : 1983

Audio
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 3
Format settings                          : Joint stereo
Duration                                 : 3 min 38 s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 274 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 38.281 FPS (1152 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Replay gain                              : 0.52 dB
Replay gain peak                         : 0.322776
Stream size                              : 7.15 MiB (100%)
MP3Gain, Min/Max                         : 120,248
  Undo                                    : +007,+007,N