[FFmpeg-user] 24bit WAV files unreadable by Sound Forge 6

Joe Dupré joe at jdupre.com
Sat Jun 11 07:55:25 EEST 2022

Hello,

I have 48K/24bit stereo CAF files that I need to convert to 48K/24bit
WAV files.

"ffmpeg -i infile.caf outfile.wav" produces a 48K/16bit WAV file that I
can open with Sound Forge 6.0.

"ffmpeg -i infile.caf -c pcm_s24le outfile.wav" produces a 48K/24bit WAV
file that I CANNOT open with Sound Forge 6.0.

I tried a commercial software utility called "Switch" by NCH Software
that can produce a 48K/24bit WAV file that IS readable by Sound Forge 6.0.

I next compared the file header of the two WAVE files.  Bytes 21-22 are
supposed to hold the format type, which is supposed to be 1 for PCM.  In
the ffmpeg produced file, bytes 21-22 are "FF FF".  In the Switch
produced file they are "01 00".

Why is ffmpeg using "FF FF" for format type?  Is there some ffmpeg
option that can specify a format type of 1?

Thanks,

--Joe