[FFmpeg-user] Removing parts of a video using the select filter

Simon van Bernem simon.vanbernem at yahoo.de
Sun Jan 9 17:36:39 EET 2022

 Those look very promising, but my version of ffmpeg doesn'tknow the segment filter. I found it in the changelog for version5, but the website lets me only download 4.4 and the github'slast release is 3.0 from 2016. Is the segment filter not availablefor the general public yet?
Regards,Simon

    Am Sonntag, 9. Januar 2022, 15:53:27 MEZ hat Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> Folgendes geschrieben:

 Simon van Bernem via ffmpeg-user (12022-01-08):
> Hi,
> I am trying to remove parts of a video (with audio) using the select
> filter. I constructed this command to remove seconds 20-25:
>
> (newlines only for readability)
>
> ffmpeg -i input.mkv
>   -vf "select='1-between(t,20,25)', setpts=N/FRAME_RATE/TB"
>   -af "aselect='1-between(t,20,25)', asetpts=N/SR/TB" output.mkv
>
> This works great, except that when I use multiple "between" clauses
> to discard multiple sections, audio and video will start to get out of
> sync.

The select filter is very generic, and therefore not very robust. It
does not update the timestamps, hence the need to update them
afterwards. Furthermore, it works with whole frames, which can
accumulate for audio.

For your use case, consider the segment and concat filters.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George