[FFmpeg-user] Removing parts of a video using the select filter

Simon van Bernem simon.vanbernem at yahoo.de
Sun Jan 9 16:40:44 EET 2022

 Hi Stephen,
I already know about this approach of doing it, but was specificallytrying to get the select filter working because its syntax is so muchsimpler. It seems like that isn't gonna work and solutions like thisare the goto, which makes me a little sad because that is quite acomplex expression for a quite simple thing. Thanks for sharinganyway!

Simon

    Am Sonntag, 9. Januar 2022, 15:13:56 MEZ hat Stephen Liu via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> Folgendes geschrieben:

  Hi Simon,
Try the command on following document, using the trim filter;

Commands to manipulate a video ->
Remove video segments (without audio)
https://transang.me/practical-ffmpeg-commands-to-manipulate-a-video/#:~:text=setpts%20%3A%20change%20the%20PTS%20(presentation,timestamp)%20of%20the%20frame%20filter.&text=STARTPTS%20%3A%20The%20PTS%20of%20the%20first%20frame.

It has a very detailed explanation.
If it works, please come back sharing your result to others
Stephen

    On Sunday, January 9, 2022, 08:38:32 PM GMT+8, Rob Hallam <ffmpeg at roberthallam.com> wrote:

 On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 at 11:34, Michael Koch <astroelectronic at t-online.de> wrote:

> Is it possible to re-encode only the beginning and the end, and use
> -codec copy for the central part?

How apropos! *

I've been trying to do essentially this for years- it was the reason I
subscribed to and posted to this list initially. It would be great to
have a mode which has the frame-exact + sync nature of a re-encode,
without the re-encode!

The trouble I've run into the few times I've tried it is that when I
try and glue the parts back together via concat, things do not work
nicely. Perhaps if there were a way to replicate all the codec
properties of the original stream when re-encoding, it might work; but
it's also possible that something else like PTS would throw it off.

Rob

* typed and posted while waiting on ffmpeg to visually "losslessly"
re-encode so that I can do a frame exact cut, currently at 0.601x
realtime

ffmpeg-user-request at ffmpeg.org with subject "unsubscribe".