[FFmpeg-user] Video Notation, A Video Lingua Franca

Mark Filipak markfilipak.noreply at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 22:42:04 EET 2022

On 2022-02-08 11:44, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

> On 2/7/2022 10:27 PM, Mark Filipak wrote:
>> On suggestion, I tried web hosting suppliers and failed.
>
> ???? There must be thousands of them out there. Failed? You copy the files to the hosting site and
> send out the URL. You may have to set up an account in order to use it. This is not difficult,
> technically.

I contacted some hosting sites:
$7 to $30 per month, (for only 11 pages!), even without WordPress (which I don't need because I can
write my own HTML and javascript), even without implementing a shopping cart etc.
And I would need my own domain.

I have a 16 year old ClarkCommunity server (now, ClearOS) on a Dell Octiplex machine that I could
put in my router's DMZ and serve pages from my basement, but I'd still need a domain.

If you're too lazy to unzip the pages I've sent, that's fine, don't unzip them, okay?

>> I've attached the 11 HTML pages -- no ZIPs. I don't know how I could make it easier.
>
> Put the individual pages on a web site..... might not be so simple for you, but dead simple for the
> reader.

I can't afford a 3-year contract for a domain. I can't afford the monthly fee for hosting (or,
alternatively, I don't have the time to resurrect my 16-year old server and figure out how to put it
back into the DMZ).

As far as serving pages, I guess I'll have to go back to Doom9, reformat my HTML into Doom9's awful
markup, and live with the fact that Doom9's site is broken and doesn't notify people of new posts
and isn't organized into topics.

>> Suppose I used a file sharing service? You'd have to download the HTLM pages, right?
>
> Those file sharing services are _web_sites_! and most of them require a person to sign-on in order
> to download. Likewise, what do you think clicking on the filesharing link does? It downloads the
> page and the browser either renders it (or tries to save as a file for some MIME types).

File sharing doesn't render in a browser. It supports downloading of files. Why would I do that? You
have already downloaded the files because they were attached to the message I sent to ffmpeg-user.

So, really, you must be objecting to ZIP -- I had to ZIP in order to attach.

> You're still making it very hard on yourself by not following common practices of the Internet.

You are the one who's making it hard.