[FFmpeg-user] Resizing ffplay window with fixed aspect ratio

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Dec 23 19:42:34 EET 2022

On 12/22/2022 3:04 PM, Paul B Mahol wrote:

> On 12/22/22, Carl Zwanzig <cpz at tuunq.com> wrote:
>> While ffmpeg is quite useful, there are better free players than ffplay*
>> (often built on the ffmpeg libs). And for some purposes, there are better
>> open-source info tools than ffprobe.

(Note the use of "for some purposes" there indicating that the assertion may
not be, or probably isn't, true for all cases. This is called "expressing an
opinion".)

> That is doubtful, citation needed.

For players, and there are probably hundreds, as I'm sure you know VLC is
quite good and does an excellent job for a great many people (and uses parts
of ffmpeg). Tell us why ffplay is _better_ (in general and in specific);
from what I can tell, it never rates in any of the "top 10" lists of players
whereas VLC is usually in the top 2 or 3.

https://www.techradar.com/best/free-video-player
https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/best-video-player/
https://fossbytes.com/10-best-free-media-players-windows/
https://www.androidpolice.com/best-video-players-android/
(there are more)

Next, please explain why ffprobe is superior to all the others instead of
just saying "This is doubtful."? There is no doubt to me and my colleagues
that MediaInfo is often more usable (or "better") that ffprobe - we've found
it gives much better control of the output and has a GUI for those that want
it. GSpot has been quite useful but is considered old now. There's also
AVInaptic. Then there are some non-free ones. If those are inaccurate, well,
citation, please.

https://listoffreeware.com/free-video-metadata-viewer-software-windows/
https://www.videoproc.com/video-editor/video-metadata-editor.htm
unfortunately, there aren't a lot of comparisons out there

> You are still trying to be truth teller, but fail badly.

Citation and explanation, please; both on "trying to be truth teller" and
"fail badly". And then explain how an opinion can be "wrong".

Paul, there's no point trying these silly games. It seems that whenever you
disagree with anyone, you try to insult them; that's antisocial and doesn't
help anyone. Oh, and please don't bother to add "You should be banned.",
that would be tiresome and we've heard it before.

Later,

z!