[FFmpeg-user] Combining -copyts with segmentation gives unexpected results

Jarno Suni sunijarno at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 00:52:29 EET 2022

I try to record an opus stream into segment files while retaining
timestamps. But ffmpeg creates a lot of very small files much faster
than what I set for -segment_time. Latest ffmpeg version that I tested
was 5.1.1.

My command is something like

ffmpeg -i somestream.opus -c copy -copyts -f segment -segment_time 10
-reset_timestamps 0 -strftime 0 recording-%05d.opus

(You can find opus streams at https://dir.xiph.org/codecs/Opus)

By the way, is there any advantage in using stream_segment instead of
segment here?

I noticed that if I increase -segment_time, ffmpeg stops creating very
small files after some time and starts to work more like expected.

Someone else has had a similar kind of issue with other kind of
streams years ago: https://superuser.com/q/800648/490855

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in ffmpeg?