[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg command required to convert MPEG TS to HLS with transcoding to aac

Dave Blanchard dave at killthe.net
Sun Dec 11 16:18:11 EET 2022

On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 04:56:46 +0100
Robin van der Linden via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> Second, the solution Dave suggested in his previous post, please correct
> me if I'm wrong Dave, but I guess he is referring to:
> https://github.com/kaltura/nginx-vod-module . This solution is fine if
> you really just have plenty amount of users. If you have many users,
> this solution will rip every CPU apart and is not suitable if you want
> to build a Netflix like application as you will have to transcode every
> playback of every user in real time.

I actually meant the nginx-ts module. With this module, you just send an MPEG2-TS stream to nginx from ffmpeg, and the -ts module handles creating all the HLS metadata etc. No reencoding occurs. I used this setup briefly before switching to SRT, so didn't test it thoroughly, but it seemed to work well, other than the usual latency of HLS.

Thanks for your detailed email as there is a lot of good info there.

Dave