[FFmpeg-user] Why ffmpeg libx265 generate way smaller files than cuda/nvidia based one?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sat Aug 6 22:09:40 EEST 2022

 Producing objective metrics of the performance of video codecs is notoriously difficult. Or at least it isn't - given enough access, you can calculate a signal-to-noise ratio through the codec, but that sometimes doesn't do a very good job. Wavelet codecs are sort of notorious for producing really good SNRs while subjectively looking much worse than other things that they numerically seem to outperform. Consider also the fact that many codecs are part of cameras and other hardware devices, where we often can't send them test data, and it becomes impossible to evaluate the codec in isolation (though it's quite possible to shoot test material and compare that).
That's not to argue with the idea that the codecs in graphics boards do a rather approximate job; that's clear from looking at the result, though it's a perfectly legitimate horse for a perfectly legitimate course.