[FFmpeg-user] Why ffmpeg libx265 generate way smaller files than cuda/nvidia based one?

Clayton Macleod cherrytwist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 13:40:31 EEST 2022

David Stephen, you really do not have any idea of what you're talking
about.  All encoders are not the same.  Encoders differ a very large amount.

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 2:59 AM david stephen <david.stephen6782 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> dont believe such thing like this more fast than this. what all terms exist
> it just marketing. like say implementation h265 from nvidia more fast.
> implementation h265 from other company more slow and good size. all
> implementation is same. its about default config that set into preset like
> CUDA, QuickSync. i already test such thing. what the different one to
> other. its about parallel in using resource. like preset CUDA can enable
> proc and gpu in same time. while like ffmpeg cant.
>
> its just about business. new gpu from nvidia will lock such thing. so
> ffmpeg will lose to nvidia cause cant optimize nvidia preset.
>
> Pada tanggal Sab, 6 Agu 2022 pukul 02.02 jatmvp ctf <
> justanotherteammate at gmail.com> menulis:
>
> > Maybe my question is not correct. If both encode H.265 but I thought the
> > performance ability (to create compression ratio) should be the same or
> at
> > least comparable.
> >
> > That means CUDA version is only for some purposes and traditional open
> > libx265 version for others? I guess, the CUDA is only for streaming, but
> > then the decrease size of frames ( so increased compression ratio) to
> > produce fast
> >
> > Harald, could you elaborate about those because I am really excited to
> know
> > about it. Maybe I have compiled something wrong. I've been looking at it
> > from yesterday so maybe I missed something in documentation :)
> >
> > Best regards.
> >
> > pt., 5 sie 2022 o 18:38 jatmvp ctf <justanotherteammate at gmail.com>
> > napisał(a):
> >
> > > Different implementation of same standard should not behave way
> different
> > > I assume, or not have same features or performance (at least).
> > >
> > > Could you describe a little more or at least give source?
> > >
> > > What are you suggesting by different implementation exactly then?
> > >
> > > I guess from your short message that CPU is OK and nVidia's is bad,
> > saying
> > > - "it is different" but for me it is not metrics when you not give
> facts
> > >
> > > pt., 5 sie 2022 o 17:46 Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>

> > (as

Clayton Macleod
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of
a decision can it really be?