[FFmpeg-user] Extracting forced subtitles from a DVD.

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Apr 28 21:01:34 EEST 2022

Michael Mueck via ffmpeg-user (12022-04-28):
> I have decrypted and ripped all of my DVDs into individual VIDEO_TS
> structures for just the main movie or an individual TV episode. Each
> move or TV episode consists of a VIDEO_TS folder containing the
> original uncompressed
> 	VIDEO_TS.IFO,  VTS_01_0.IFO  and  VTS_01_[1->N].VOB  files.

This is already wrong. The VOB files do not map directly to the video
parts of the contents. If you do that, you will get also all the menu
crap in your resulting file.

Also, the subtitles palette is not in the VOB files.

You can generate a concat script to access the DVD hierarchy correctly
using the dvd2concat script in the tools directory.

It is entirely possible that doing so would fix your issue.

Also, do not re-encode the subtitles, use -c copy, it will be more
reliable.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George