[FFmpeg-user] Strange problem with creating chapters

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Sat Sep 18 03:23:38 EEST 2021

Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> writes:

>>> What you suggested:
>>>     ffmpeg -i 09-Improvisaties.mp4 -i evaluaties.txt -map_chapters 1
>>> -codec copy 09-Improvisati
>>> esMetHoofdstukken.mp4
>>>

>> Use less brain dead container than mp4
>>
>> If works fine with .nut
>
> Yes it works with .nut. But I have to distribute it. You cannot play a
> .nut file with the default player on Android. You have to install VLC.
> I have to investigate if that (or something else) is a problem.

One problem is that VLC on Android does not see the title of a
chapter.

With .mkv and .asf chapters also work. But VCL on Android does not see
the chapters in an .asf file. With a .mkv the chapters are seen and
the correct title is displayed.

So at the moment .mkv seems the best option. But only tested it with
mpv on Debian and VLC on Android. Do not know how good it will work on
Windows and Apple.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer