[FFmpeg-user] Can ffmpeg record video from this kind of URL?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 20:00:52 EEST 2021

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 16:30:00 +0300, anatoly at kazanfieldhockey.ru wrote:

>> Is there a command line call I can make to extract the m3u8 URL
>> automatically so
>> it can be used in a script only supplied the main page URL?
>To get url of the first m3u8 from the page (this page actually has only one)
>curl "https://www.livenewsmag.com/msnbc-news-live-stream/" | grep -o -e
>"https://.\+m3u8" | head -n 1

Thanks, this works inasmuch as it shows the URL on screen from where I can copy
the URL manually.

However it looks like this when executed:

$ curl "https://www.livenewsmag.com/msnbc-news-live-stream/" | grep -o -e
"https://.\+m3u8" | head -n 1
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 86975  100 86975    0     0   375k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  374k
https://1420543146.rsc.cdn77.org/tsOQo0dAAnGr5jKtXe_k5g==,1630526780/LS-ATL-54548-10/index.m3u8

So curl is outputting stuff during its probe that is also on the terminal
output...
But changing it to this:

$ curl -s "https://www.livenewsmag.com/msnbc-news-live-stream/" | grep -o -e
"https://.\+m3u8" | head -n 1

removes all that fluff and I get exactly the end result!

I have now cereated a script, which updates the URL-file with the current items
for the given URL.
This can be called before actually using the video URL for download making sure
the m3u8 URL is current.
Thanks again!

--
Bo Berglund