[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg on Apple Silicon (Success)

Steven Kan steven at kan.org
Tue Oct 26 07:14:59 EEST 2021

Hi Aleksid,

Any new news re: ffmpeg on Apple Silicon?

For everyone else, does ffmpeg en/decode performance generally scale with CPU cores, GPU cores, both or neither? Or does it use the “media engine” block(s)?

Is there any way to tell which parts of the chip are being used? Or is this all hidden/obfuscated by the video_toolbox API?

I’m very curious to see how the M1 Max would run certain types of tasks.