[FFmpeg-user] High audio latency (although low with ffplay!)

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Oct 13 14:10:53 EEST 2021

Hi Arif,

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 14:21:43 +0200, Arif Driessen wrote:
> However, My inroad, as I see it, is essentially going from high  level to
> low level so probably somewhere in this order of contribution:
>
> 1) Documentation fixes / maybe other superficial maintenance tasks that
> need doing
> 2) Audio filters (because I understand music production, and a tiny bit of
> the math and higher-level DSP concepts
> 3) Pulse/Pipewire (as I'm on GNU/Linux)
> 4) ALSA mentioned afterwards as it's more lower-level
> 5) branching out to video
> 5) Migrating ffmpeg to Rust (hahaha joking)

This is exactly how I started off.

I recommend:
- Read https://ffmpeg.org/developer.html, especially
       https://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Contributing
- Subscribe to the ffmpeg-devel mailing list.
- Observe that mailing for some time.
  - Understand what is expected from a contribution, and what the
    pitfalls are. (Bad commit messages, incomplete context, bad code,
    bad coding style, malformed patches, answering to the wrong thread,
    top-posting, ...).
  - Understand how the review process goes.
- Pick your favorite nit. I started off with documentation buglets
  (spelling errors, missing documentation on options) and small code
  fixes.
- Also check trac (the bug tracker) for "easy" issues you may want to
  help solving, or even just reproducing:
  https://trac.ffmpeg.org/
  Also check there to see whether your favorite nit is already
  mentioned.
- Check the ffmpeg-devel archives, whether someone has already
  attempted what you are trying.
- Enjoy. :)

Cheers,
Moritz