[FFmpeg-user] unable to git pull, git clone due to SSL cert errors

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Oct 7 16:30:01 EEST 2021

Von: "Pavel Koshevoy" <pkoshevoy at gmail.com>
> Am I the only one having this problem:
>
> $ git pull
> fatal: unable to access 'https://git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git/': SSL
> certificate problem: certificate has expired

Recent changes to the certificate chain of LetsEncrypt expose problems with gnutls. (git uses curl, which in turn uses gnutls on many platforms, though it can use openssl or mbedtls as well).

Check the dependencies and whether you have an update for gnutls on your platform. You may also need the latest ca-certificates package. On Ubuntu 16.04, this is the relevant change to libgnutls:

gnutls28 (3.4.10-4ubuntu1.9) xenial; urgency=medium

  * Backport patches from Upstream/Debian to check validity against system
    certs. This is to allow correctly validating default letsencrypt
    chains that now also include a redundant expired certficate. LP:
    #1928648

 -- Dimitri John Ledkov <dimitri.ledkov at canonical.com>  Fri, 27 Aug 2021 14:19:17 +0100

Not sure what the state on other distributions or OSs is.

Cheers,
Moritz