[FFmpeg-user] Can I set a "wait-timeout" for ffmpeg to not abort a stream download?

Rob Hallam ffmpeg at roberthallam.com
Tue Nov 16 12:04:17 EET 2021

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 at 09:52, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 13:51:58 +1000, Adam Nielsen via ffmpeg-user
> <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
> >Sounds like you need to improve your logging :-P
> And I have no say over what ffmpeg is logging or where, right?

You do. You can use `-report'; see
http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#toc-Generic-options under '-report':

> Dump full command line and log output to a file named program-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.log in the current directory. This file can be useful for bug reports. It also implies -loglevel debug.

You can also use output redirection. Since you're using Ubuntu,
there's a very nice summary over at AskUbuntu:

https://askubuntu.com/a/731237

Either of these -- -report or output redirection -- can be used as
part of your ffmpeg invocation with `at'.

As a side note, task schedulers like cron/at/etc can and sometimes do
try to handle output- on some systems, cron used to generate an email
to the user if there was output on stderr. Nowadays in a systemd
context, it might be captured and available as part of the journal via
`journalctl'.

But if you're interested in ffmpeg's information output -- and you
should be! -- then explicitly choosing where to save it is a good
idea.

Cheers,
Rob