[FFmpeg-user] h265 file from IP camera - audio stream

Martin Woolley martin at woolleynet.com
Sun May 16 14:38:43 EEST 2021

On Sun, 16 May 2021, 12:27 Rob Hallam, <ffmpeg at roberthallam.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 2021 at 07:11, Martin Woolley <martin at woolleynet.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Would you mind educating me (or helping me educate myself)? What is HXVF
> /
> > HXVS / HXVT and is there a specification I can read covering this?
>
> There are some potentially interesting reads searching for those terms:
>
>  - https://spitzner.org/kkmoon.html - "Cheap Chinese camera garbled .264
> files"
>  - a VLC ticket: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/22935
>  - the above leads to https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/2146
>
> The first and third links include workarounds to strip unwanted bumph from
> the headers there, but I don't know if this also applies to your files.
>
> Uneducated guesses are often unhelpful, but at a quick glance it seems to
> me
> that the common element here is IP cameras. In my admittedly limited
> experience they can have some odd behaviour, like being tied to Internet
> Explorer / ActiveX (!!); I've heard at other times they want you to use
> their
> own app. I'm not sure if this is a deliberate attempt at lock-in or a
> result of
> odd tooling during development.
>
> In any case, expecting standards-compliant behaviour from those devices
> will lead to disappointment.
>
> No doubt someone with more experience can fill in the blanks in my
> amateur guesses.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

The camera I have which is producing these h265 and h264 files is an ieGeek
5mp camera. It supports various mobile apps (including one I wrote myself,
using libvlc for streaming support). The live stream can be viewed in
Chrome too, not just IE. I looked at the web application and found its
using a standard HTML5 Canvas element and an open source JavaScript library
which doubtless holds clues. I've not had time to look at it yet but here
it is:

https://github.com/strukturag/libde265.js

I've seen most of those posts and the general conclusion when faced with
files which cannot be played using the usual players is that somehow the
cameras are bad and not standards compliant. But is this true or are they
simply using something which is uncommon or bleeding edge? I'd very much
like to know more about HXVF /HXVS / HXVT as specified in the issue that
has been logged:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/9245

Cheers

Martin