[FFmpeg-user] Errors in swscaler or broken video

WR wolle321 at freenet.de
Sat May 8 11:58:11 EEST 2021

Hello community,

since some days I experience errormessages in ffplay:
(ffplay version 4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1 )

[swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 82x0 -> 82x0 is invalid scaling dimension
Cannot initialize the conversion context
[swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
Cannot initialize the conversion context
[swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
Cannot initialize the conversion context
[swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
Cannot initialize the conversion context
[swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
Cannot initialize the conversion context
[swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
Cannot initialize the conversion context
[swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
Cannot initialize the conversion context
[swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
Cannot initialize the conversion context
[swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
Cannot initialize the conversion context

The messages arise in chunks and while they arise video output is black.
between the chunks, the video runs fine.

It only happens, when I play a video, which I edited before with
ffmpeg's crop-filter :
-c:v libx264 -preset medium  -filter:v crop=iw-0-0:ih-72-74:0:72

The source video comes from a DVD (from what I created a concat-file
with dvd2concat-script from ffmpeg-sources)

I do that to cut the black stripes on the top and at the bottom.
When I don't use the crop filter, the result video runs fine in ffplay.

The cropped video (which produces the error messages) runs fine in other
players (vlc, parole). I also (for test) took it as input for another
transcoding in ffmpeg -> no errors while processing (but again errors
while playing this result)

So my question is: can I be sure, that the cropped videofile is without
scaling faults and only the ffplay has a problem while playing? Or is
the cropped video really erroneous because the crop filter makes
mistakes and all other players are a bit more "scaling problems friendly".

I think this appeared since one of the last ubuntu updates, I can't
remember such an effect in former times, but I use the crop filter since
a long time now.

(And another strange effect in the last days is, that video playback
runs in double speed for some seconds, when I switch the audio-channels
with key A. I've never seen this before.)

Thank you, RockfordC64

--

- may the source be with you -

--