[FFmpeg-user] 1080i AVC-I 100 frame rate conversion

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon Mar 29 20:04:45 EEST 2021

On 3/29/2021 9:47 AM, Nicolas George wrote:
> You mean that most movies from the NTSC area sold as PAL DVD likely
> exist? I can confirm, they exist.

Please be careful with the words- "movies" (made for theatrical release) are
filmed at 24.0 fps. And pretty much anything committed to -film- will be at
24.0 fps*. Only made-for-NTSC-broadcast _and_ recorded as video would be
29.97fps.

(Also consider that most 24fps movies released on Region 1 DVDs are encoded
at 24 with the 3:2 flag set to play on NTSC devices.)

*certain very rare exceptions exist, not worth considering here

Getting back to the content and Bruce's question-
Depending on the actual source of the content, what's called 30-ish it _may_
be at 24fps with a 3:2 flag or equivalent; if so, don't process as if it
were 30-ish fps.

(I say 30-ish to cover both 30.0 and 29.97 rates)

Later,

z!