[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg list footer

Reino Wijnsma rwijnsma at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 12 01:29:25 EET 2021

On 2021-03-09T21:07:52+0100, Carl Zwanzig <cpz at tuunq.com> wrote:
> The list FAQ should also be mentioned in the the welcome message. I raised this, over a year ago to a/the list owner, who replied--
>>> Could we include the entire FAQ section 6.1 into the list welcome message? (I don't know specifically who maintains the list.) That might
>>> cut down on some of the badly-written postings.
>
>> thanks for the input and it's definitely a good idea - if it cuts down
>> bad messages, well we might hope for that at least 0:-)
>
> But AFAIK nothing happened.

I would say, section 6.1 of the FAQ is something one has to explicitly agree with upon registering to ffmpeg-user, together with a three-strikes-you're-out rule. So an extra field in the "Subscribing to ffmpeg-user" section of https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user. No need to change the footer this way.

However, as there's no authority to uphold these rules, this whole discussion is pointless if you ask me.
And it's even more pointless when certain long-time members on this list, including developers even who i.m.o. should be an example of how to use this mailinglist and its etiquette, think the rules don't apply to them.

Unless the etiquette will be enforced, I doubt anything will change.

--
Reino