[FFmpeg-user] filter pipeline 'PTS' -- int64_t?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:59:20 EET 2021

Am Di., 2. März 2021 um 01:47 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)
<markfilipak at bog.us>:

> The ffmpeg filter pipeline assigns a 'PTS' to each frame,
> frame by frame.

This may not be completely unreasonable but some
comments are still necessary:
The sentence sounds to me as if the the filter pipeline always
assigns timestamps to frames, but this is neither true (many
filters do not care about timestamps and you do not have to
insert a filter which does) nor does it make the filter pipeline
special: Timestamps often come from the demuxer and / or
the decoder and may or may not change in the filterchain
(and - as I believe you realized by now - because of the
chosen output format; and also the chosen encoder - for
which you did not post a question yet).

Frames may not have a timestamp assigned - you posted
the relevant part of the documentation.

Concerning some of your other comments:

The timestamps in MPEG streams may be negative.

There is no AVFrac in the (current) codebase.