[FFmpeg-user] Compressed file is larger than original...

iburman at compuscience.com iburman at compuscience.com
Fri Jun 25 23:11:33 EEST 2021

>try a larger value for -crf

OK. The initial value was crf 18 and I now used crf=27 with a better result.
I also took my original video, uploaded and downloaded it to youtube to see
what youtube accomplishes, and here are the results:

Original file:  18MB
CRF=18:  25 MB
CRF=27:   11.5 MB
Youtube:  8.6MB

I extracted stream info with ffprobe and here are some values. I'm not sure
if these ones are the relevant ones; if more are required please let me
know:

ORIGINAL:
r_frame_rate=60/1
avg_frame_rate=56724480/945439 ~ 60/1
bit_rate=2376739
nb_frames=3693
------------------
COMPRESSED  CRF 18
r_frame_rate=60/1
avg_frame_rate=60/1
bit_rate=3233826
nb_frames=3694
------------------
COMPRESSED CRF 27
r_frame_rate=60/1
avg_frame_rate=60/1
bit_rate=1408499
nb_frames=3694
-------------------
Youtube:
r_frame_rate=30/1
avg_frame_rate=30/1
bit_rate=1011745
nb_frames=1847

What seems significant to me here is that YouTube reduced the frame rate and
consequently the number of frames to half. The quality of the video still
seems reasonably to what I need it for, so is there a command in ffmpeg
where I can reduce the frame rate and accomplish the same as YouTube?

Thanks