[FFmpeg-user] Webcam stream join delay?

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Thu Jun 17 19:54:39 EEST 2021

On 6/17/2021 6:19 AM, Jean Vézina wrote:
> I don’t think ffmpeg was designed for real time video processing, Perhaps
> the developers are planning to release a version that use GPU
> acceleration.
ffmpeg is a conversion tool; on many platforms it's more than fast enough to
do real-time processing (impediments are usually other stuff running on the
same platform). However, "real time" has varying definitions and the code in
some areas may not be optimized for the task it's asked to do. There may be
cases where the ffmpeg executable doesn't quite Do The Right Thing, but some
custom code calling the ffmpeg libraries would.

And ffmpeg does have GPU acceleration, has for a while- see
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro and many other pages.

z!