[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG ignores -timelimit

S. Helbig s.helbig at mailbox.org
Tue Jul 20 22:23:59 EEST 2021

Hello,

I like to run FFMPEG as a cron job to loop-record an IP cam stream into
wrap-limited segments.

To make it power-cut and network-cut proof, I wanted to restart FFMPEG
periodically, giving it a timelimit.
But it keeps ignoring it on the test bench.

ffmpeg -loglevel debug -hide_banner -timelimit 60 -i
'http://192.168.1.23:456/videostream.cgi?user=USER&pwd=PWD' -y -f
segment -segment_time 3600 -segment_format mp4 -segment_atclocktime 1
-segment_wrap 3 -c copy /path/to/destination/recording-%03d.mp4

I'm thinking of adding a kill-job to the crontab, then restart FMPEG
again as an alternative. Not elegant but a workaround...

What could be a reason why this is being ignored? It's a global option