[FFmpeg-user] Is the default output color change changed to PC range recently when converting RGB to YUV?

Benjamin Peng human.peng at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 11:54:39 EEST 2021

Hello,

I often use the following command to convert images to video directly:

    ffmpeg -loop 1 -i image.bmp -t 5 -vf zscale=matrix=709,format=yuv420p
-y test.mp4

And it works fairly well.

Today, when I'm doing the same thing with the build: ffmpeg version
2021-03-28-git-8b2bde0494 , I found the result video becomes PC range.
I tested again with a version from 2020, and it indeed generates limited
range.

(I want to keep the video in limited range for maximum compatibility.)

I was wondering if this is an intentional change in FFMPEG recently?

Thanks.